Resources for Homeschooling and Non-Homeschooling Parents
It’s hard to believe that school is back in session! Where did the last few months go??
This year things look very different for parents and their children who are going back to school. Some parents have opted to have their kids rejoin their classmates in the classroom, while others have decided that homeschooling or online school is for them.
Resources for homeschooling
Whatever your choice for your child’s education, we are always here to help! We have plenty of resources for homeschooling for parents and children alike.
Browse our databases to find educational resources. You may also explore these resources individually.
- All Ages Learning: Library resources
- National Geographic Kids: Science Lab
- Gale in Context: Elementary
- World Book: Student
Books about homeschooling
For parents whose children are learning at home, use these books about homeschooling to make your transition much smoother:
The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life by Julie Bogart. A joyful and accessible approach to homeschool that harnesses children’s natural curiosity and makes learning a part of everyday life, whether they’re in elementary or high school.
For parents who just need to know everything about homeschooling, check out The Everything Guide to Homeschooling: All You Need to Create the Best Curriculum and Learning Environment for Your Child by Sherri Linsenbach.
For parents who have a full schedule (probably all of us!), check out Help for the Harried Homeschooler: A Practical Guide to Balancing Your Child’s Education with the Rest of Your Life by Christine Field.
Finally, for parents who are looking for a lighter and more humorous side to homeschooling check out One Good Year: A Mother and Daughter’s Educational Adventure by Laura Brodie. After years of watching her eldest daughter, Julia, struggle in a highly regimented public school system, Laura Brodie determined to teach her ten-year-old at home for a year.
In addition to library resources, explore these websites with resources for homeschooling:
- Brightly: Website with booklists on a wide variety of topics based on age.
- Penguin Classroom: Website with educator discussion guides on Penguin-published books; book trailers. Also, look at other publisher websites for similar content on books they have published.
- Diversebookfinder: Website that helps readers find diverse picture books. You can search by race/culture; gender; religion; and more.
You might also enjoy
- Library Resources for School Readiness
- Explora at your library when you need trusted information
- Kids Infobits Online Resource
Skye is a Library Assistant Specialist at the Williamsburg Branch Library.