Meeting Room Use
The Clermont County Public Library, hereinafter referred to as “the Library”, as an institution of education and democracy, welcomes the community’s use of its meeting rooms. Library meeting rooms are available to all individuals or groups, hereinafter referred to as “user”, within the community. Library meeting rooms may be reserved, based on availability, free of charge. It is important to note that no admission fee, attendance charge, or donation may be assessed to the individuals attending an event, meeting, or program. All meeting room scheduling will be done on a first-come, first-served basis; however, first priority in the use of library meeting rooms will always be given to the Library. When they are not scheduled for Library functions, the meeting rooms at all Clermont County Public Library branches will be available for use only during regular library hours.
Reservations for the meeting rooms shall be accepted up to two (2) months in advance of the meeting date. Please note that the Library is unable to guarantee availability for regularly scheduled meetings, and the Library reserves the right to change meeting room reservations in the event either the Library Director or the President of the Library Board of Trustees determines the meeting room is needed for Library purposes.
In order to reserve a meeting room, the user agrees to abide by the rules established by the Library. A representative of each user group is expected to read this policy and the rules in advance of use, and is required to complete the online Request for Use of Meeting Room application, found on the Library’s website, clermonylibrary.org. The application assigns responsibility for damages or loss to the room, furnishings and/or equipment to the user sponsoring the event, meeting, or program.
The user or group representative signing the Request for Use of Meeting Room application must be at least 18 years of age. A reservation for a group under the age of 18 years must be made by a supervising adult, and the group must remain under adequate adult supervision at all times. Meeting room use may be denied to anyone falsifying a meeting room application.
The Library shall approve and schedule only those meeting room events which will not pose a disturbance to library activities or patrons. The user requesting use of a meeting room will be held responsible for the orderly conduct of the group, and for any loss or damage to Library property or injury to individuals. Children must not be left unsupervised in the library while parents or legal guardians attend events, meetings, or programs.
The user of the library meeting rooms agrees to comply with the Meeting Room Policy, the Meeting Room Rules, and the Standards of Library Behavior Policy, available on the Library’s website. Meeting room use may be denied to anyone failing to comply with the policies, and/or rules. The Library is not responsible for injuries, accidents, or acts of negligence that may occur on Library premises. The Library reserves the right to withdraw permission for meeting room use when conditions so warrant, to stop meetings which interfere with the normal and safe operation of the library, and/or to suspend users’ meeting room privileges. Reinstatement of meeting room privileges can only be granted by action of the Library Board of Trustees.
Soliciting signatures on a petition is not permitted inside Library buildings, including meeting rooms. Members of the public may solicit signatures on a petition on the sidewalk outside the facility provided they are not interfering with access to or use of the Library.
Except as a designation of location, the name and contact information of the Library may not be used in any publicity for the meeting. Reservation approval of the meeting room(s) does not mean the Library endorses the purposes and policies of the user(s); therefore, the user(s) shall not imply the Library is a sponsor of the meeting in publicity materials, including but not limited to social media, posters, fliers, and advertisements, nor during the actual meeting/activity.
By: By-Law and Policy Review Committee
Approved as amended by the Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees:
June 26, 2023. Effective September 1, 2023.
Approved as amended by the Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees: November 15, 2021. Effective January 3, 2022.
Approved as amended by the Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees: August 8, 2011
Approved as amended by the Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees: April 16, 2012
Meeting Room Use, Rules, and Conditions
- Library use of the meeting rooms takes precedence over all other uses. The library reserves the right to change meeting rooms or cancel use of meeting rooms by an outside individual, group, or organization if the Director or the President of the Board of Trustees determines the space is needed for library purposes. If the Library must close due to emergency situations or inclement weather, all meetings scheduled during the closure will be cancelled. Closures are announced on the Library’s Facebook page and website. The user may reschedule a cancelled meeting, based on room availability and within a reasonable time frame.
- The library provides meeting rooms for the public to use, as long as the gathering does not disturb other library activities or guests. Users of the room are subject to, and must comply with, the Standards of Library Behavior policy.
- Meeting room use may be denied to anyone failing to comply with the policy, rules terms and conditions, or Standards of Library Behavior. The Library reserves the right to withdraw permission for meeting room use when conditions so warrant and to stop meetings which interfere with or are disruptive to the normal operations of the Library.
- Reservations will be held for 10 minutes past the requested start time. If the user has not arrived by that time, the reservation will be cancelled. The library requests at least a 24-hour notification in the event of a meeting cancellation.
- Meeting rooms are available only during Library hours and must be vacated 30 minutes before closing. A representative from the group must check in prior to occupying the room. The meeting rooms cannot be occupied prior to or after the specified time without prior approval. Please check out when vacating the room.
- Except as a designation of location, the name and contact information of the library may not be used in any publicity for the meeting. Use of the meeting room does not mean the library endorses the purposes and policies of the user utilizing its meeting rooms. The user will not imply that the library is a sponsor of the meeting in publicity or during the meeting.
- The user is required to both set up and breakdown the room, returning the room to its original condition, unless instructed otherwise. Library staff are not responsible for setting up or assisting with set up or break down of the room.
- The user is responsible for any clean up following the meeting. If professional cleaning is required, charges will be passed on to the responsible user.
- Tables, chairs and audio/visual technology may be available for use with advance notice, or the user may arrange to bring their own equipment and/or supplies. The user should be aware that meeting room technology may not be compatible with their personal devices and should inquire in advance what technology is available for use. The library is not responsible for equipment, supplies, or any other materials owned by the user.
- The user cannot attach to or hang items on meeting room walls or ceilings. Tape, tacks, and other fasteners may not be used on library walls or equipment. If the room or equipment is damaged, the repair or replacement cost will be paid for by the responsible user.
- Alcoholic beverages or drugs of any type may not be brought into, served, or consumed on the library’s premises. Smoking on library premises is not permitted.
- Light refreshments may be brought into library meeting rooms; however, candles, open fire (Sterno, etc.) and/or cooking, other than use of the microwave (if available), are not permitted.
- Inflatables, such as bounce houses and slides, are not permitted.
- The library cannot store equipment and/or supplies, personal or otherwise, for any non-library meeting room function. If the user has reserved the room for consecutive days, all materials and items brought into the room by the user must be removed at the end of each day.
- Library staff are not permitted to receive materials sent by or sent to people using the meeting room. In addition, library staff are not permitted to take telephone messages for guests attending meetings or events.
- Damage and/or accidents must be reported immediately to the staff member in charge, who will report the incident according to library procedures.
- Staff-only areas are considered off limits to all meeting room guests.
- Meeting room capacities must not be exceeded. Branch capacity information is listed on the room reservation system and posted in the meeting rooms.
- The Clermont County Public Library does not permit a person, other than a law enforcement officer or person otherwise authorized by law, to possess a firearm, dangerous ordnance, or other deadly weapon in a Library building.
- By requesting to use a library meeting room, the user of the meeting room acknowledges their willingness to be addressed at some time during its meeting by a library staff member.
- For safety reasons, the user cannot remove, cover, or otherwise conceal any of the required safety items in the room including but not limited to emergency exits, maximum occupancy sign, and/or fire alarm pulls. The user cannot materially alter the room such that it hinders the safety features, such as covering sprinklers, removing fire extinguishers, covering emergency signals for hearing impaired persons, or putting up materials that deaden sound so that fire alarms aren’t heard, etc.
- Groups or individuals using meeting rooms shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Library, its trustees, officers, agents, and employees from and against any and all losses, damages, claims, costs, suits, actions of any kind, arising and resulting and accruing from any act, omission or error of the such group or individual and any users, employees, agents, representatives, guests, invitees, resulting in or relating to personal injuries or property damage arising from the group’s or individual’s use of the Library.
Meeting Room Use Rules Terms and Conditions revised August 2023, effective September 1, 2023.