1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Start your child on the path to success with 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Reading to your child is a powerful way to boost his or her brain power. Join our 1000 Books Before Kindergarten reading challenge.
Sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills:
- Understanding the sounds letters make
- Developing a bigger vocabulary
- Building background knowledge
Important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
How to sign up
- Register: Sign up at any of our 10 branches and pick up your starter kit with tracking sheets. Sign up online, or download the Beanstack Tracker app and track your reading online.
- Track Your Reading: For each book you read with your child, track the book using the paper sheet, online, or using the app.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, count it each time. Count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, visit the library to receive a sticker and a special reward.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library and receive a free book.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills.
- Visit the library for free, fun, and educational events for your little one. Check our Event Calendar.
- Sign up for newsletters to have book recommendations and library events delivered to your inbox.
How Can I Read 1,000 Books?
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1000 Books Before Kindergarten!