STEAM Education encourages student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking
What is a STEAM Kit?
We offer STEAM Kits, available to check out that assist with STEAM education. The kits are available for pre-schoolers and elementary-age children.
Each STEAM kit comes with an instrument, toy, or game to further interest and promote hands-on exploration.
STEAM Kit circulation rules
- 21-day loan period
- Kits will be part of the Floating collection
- Kits cannot be renewed
- Only one kit per check out
- Return inside the Library to a staff member at the desk – please do not put in the outside book return box
- Can be checked out on an Educator card; educators may not use either of their two forgiven items per year on any part of the kit
- Cannot be checked out on a 3 for Me card
- All materials must be returned inside their container and in good working order
- A $45 replacement fee will be charged for a kit not returned in good shape; individual replacement costs are as follows:
- $10 for book/toy/manipulative
- $5 for container
Other STEAM resources
The Library has thousands of materials that explore STEAM concepts.
Digital Library: Hoopla
Use Hoopla to help your child find STEAM themed eBooks, movies, TV shows. Hoopla has one of the largest and most diverse collections of STEAM education content. Some of the great resources you will find here include a Disney-themed coding series for younger kids and the Looking Forward series for older kids and adults that explore topics such as Health Tech and Clean Energy.
- Learning with STEAM audiobook collection
- Environmental Science eBooks
- Coding and programming for kids
- Technology for kids
Digital Library: Databases
Use one of the library’s STEAM related databases:
- Explora: Supports both student research and classroom instruction with rich, reliable content.
- Gale in Context- Elementary: A great resource for young children that includes books, pictures, magazines, and news articles; provides images alongside text for ease of searching.
- Science Reference Center: Topics covered include biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science and society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology, and wildlife.
- World Book Early World of Learning: Contains three learning environments, each targeting a critical area of the development of young learners in early elementary grades.
- World Book Kids: offers simple search and browse navigation, easy to read articles with embedded multimedia, thousands of illustrations, and a wealth of engaging activities.
Speak with our knowledgeable staff for additional assistance. Staff members can help you place holds on items, and learn how to borrow and download titles to your devices.
Schedule a one-on-one session with a staff member using our Book-a-Librarian service.