12 fantastic reasons to listen to audiobooks
June is Audiobook Month so what better time to listen to one than now? Celebrate listening to books by downloading, streaming, or checking out a Playaway or Books on CD. No matter your age, enjoy the simple pleasure of listening to someone read a book to you.
reasons to listen to an audiobook
Still not sure if audiobooks are for you? I’ve got 12 reasons why audiobooks are awesome.
- Audiobooks are convenient. You can listen to them while you’re doing other things, like driving, working out, or cleaning the house. This is great when you don’t have a lot of time to sit down and read a book.
- Audiobooks are relaxing. Listening to a story can be a great way to de-stress and unwind. It can also help you fall asleep at night. If you use the Libby app, there’s even a timer so you can fall asleep and not miss part of your audiobook.
- Audiobooks are accessible. You can listen to audiobooks on your phone, tablet, or computer.
- Variety of audiobooks. There are audiobooks on just about every topic imaginable, from history to self-help to gardening. Fiction audiobooks are available in all genres. It’s an easy way to explore new genres.
- Audiobooks help you learn. With the variety of audiobooks available, they’re an easy way to learn new things and expand your knowledge.
- Audiobooks help improve your vocabulary. When you listen to audiobooks, you’re exposed to new words and phrases that you might not come across in everyday conversation. This can help you expand your vocabulary so you become a better communicator.
- Audiobooks help improve your concentration. When you’re listening to a story, you must focus on what the narrator is saying to follow along. Listening to audiobooks can also help you improve your concentration in other areas of your life.
- Audiobooks help you fall asleep. Listening to an audiobook can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. The sound of someone’s voice can be very calming and soothing, and it can help to block out other noises that might be keeping you awake.
- Audiobooks can help you learn a new language. If you’re learning a new language, audiobooks can be a great way to practice your listening skills. Did you know can slow down the playback speed if you need to?
- Audiobooks help you stay entertained on long trips. If you’re traveling, an audiobook can entertain you. It’s the perfect time to listen to that one book everyone’s been talking about and you’ve been meaning to read.
- Audiobooks help you multitask. Audiobooks are a great way to multitask. You can listen to an audiobook while you’re doing chores, working out, or even cooking dinner. Audiobooks are great to listen to when you’re waiting in line or at the doctor’s office.
- Audiobooks are a fun way to spend time with your family and friends. You can listen to audiobooks together while you’re driving, working out, or doing other activities.
How to choose what to listen to
So, now that you know how amazing audiobooks are, what do you listen to?
If you’re not sure where to start, try something by your favorite author. You can search for audiobooks in our catalog, the Ohio Digital Library/Libby app, or hoopa Digital just like when you’re looking for a book.
- Is there a book you’ve wanted to read but just haven’t found the time? Check to see if it’s available as an audiobook and start listening.
- Check out the Coming Soon eAudiobook list to see what’s recently been added to our catalog from Libby and hoopla Digital.
- Scan the Coming Soon New Books on CD list.
- Each year, the Audie awards are given to top audiobook. Check out the 2023 Audi nominees available with the Ohio Digital Library/Libby app.
- Try something from the Most Popular list from the Ohio Digital Library/ Libby.
- Listen to a New York Times bestseller using hoopla Digital.
- Listen to something new with a debut author using hoopla Digital.
In case anyone’s not sure, listening to audiobooks counts as reading. When you listen to an audiobook, you are still consuming the same story as if you were reading it yourself. You’re still following the plot, learning about the characters, and experiencing the world of the book. The only difference is that you are using your ears instead of your eyes.
Listen to audiobooks during National Audiobook Month for a different and fun way to enjoy books.
If you’re looking for other suggestions, explore our online resource, NoveList Plus. Or sign up for Recommends, our personalized reading suggestions via email service. Or ask Library staff during your next visit.