Patron Confidentiality Policy
The Clermont County Public Library recognizes, in accordance with Ohio Revised Code, Section 149.432, that its circulation records and other records that link the names of library users with specific materials are confidential in nature.
No Library records or patron information, as defined by Ohio law, shall be released except in the following situations:
- To the parent, guardian, or custodian of a minor child upon request in accordance with division (B) of section 149.43 of the Ohio Revised Code;
- In accordance with a subpoena, search warrant, or other court order;
- To a law enforcement officer who is acting in the scope of the officer’s law enforcement duties and who is investigating a matter involving public safety in exigent circumstances;
- Upon request of or consent of a patron to the release of his/her information;
- For various administrative library purposes; and
- Upon request, in accordance with division (B) of section 149.43 of the Ohio Revised Code, records that document improper use of the internet at the Library so long as any patron information (except for age or gender of an individual as set forth in RC 149.432(B)(5)) is removed from those records.
All requests for patron information, except in the case of a parent, guardian, or custodian of a minor child, must be referred to the Library Director for authorization.
By: By-Law and Policy Review Committee
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees: October 16, 2000
Approved as amended by the Library Board of Trustees: November 15, 2021